Thursday 12 June 2014

FIFA!

The 2014 FIFA World Cup is kicking-off in less than 5 hours and I couldn't be more excited. I vaguely remember the 2010 FIFA World Cup. I watched as many matches as i could between college, projects and my (beauty) sleep. I specifically remember a few incidents. One, where i was at the mall and a local news channel interviewed me, where i had to state my opinion about who I thought would win. And i predicted very accurately that Spain would. I was, of course a hardcore Spain supporter from starting to end. This was aired on tv and that was quite a proud moment for my dad, as he himself is an avid sports fanatic. I also remember purchasing a football scorebook/ info magazine at the bookstore well in advance, to know who-was, what-was and how. Another weekly magazine i subscribed to also included with it a tiny little scorekeeping book and my dad and i filled these up diligently.
(MATCH! the footie magazine)
(scores recorded)
(The Week pocket guide)

And finally i remember the night of the finals. My dad and i were up in the middle of the night (because of the time difference)  and i could hardly wait to see some goals-a-shooting. Quite honestly it was a boring finals match. Unfortunately, the collective moments of excitement did not help my sleepy eyes from shutting and before i knew it, i was fast asleep. The next thing i remember was a loud, excited scream of the commentator and a flurry of movement on the screen and that, my friends is how i missed the only goal scored in the World Cup Final of 2010. I've had a series of bad luck with legendary goals and this was one. I remember, jumping up, reaching for my phone, to record this victory and then i just burst into tears. I am unsure upto this day, as to why i did cry. Maybe it was happy tears, celebratory, or maybe it was tears because i'd missed the goal, which i had to rewatch in the highlights. Or, maybe it was both? The following day i wore red to commemorate EspaƱa's victory. 

Now, four years later, after the transition through an all-girls college, with the lack of football-followers, I have lost touch and i stand here again, afresh, as a beginner, peering into the world of the beautiful game with curious eyes and and a racing heart. I am not up to date with the player statistics and such, but i will be! Soon! :D
I have always been a keen Spain supporter. They will always hold their spot in my heart. But i am secretly hoping for an English win because it is Gerard's last World Cup.
The game kicks-off in a while and i am pretty certain i will be late to classes tomorrow and will probably be a "bad student" for a month, but sorry teachers, it's football season! This little book will be my friend for this month. It will serve as a time-capsule when i want to relive this again. And probably talk about this, after four years! A lot more FIFA to come!
(my little friend)
Ole Ole! 

P.S. I apologise profusely for the bad webcam photography. 

No comments:

Post a Comment